I thought I would share one of my favorites from the Sir Porkalot BBQ Archive.
Habanero Key Lime Pie with Crispy Pork Bits
I picked up 3 lbs of belly, and scored it up and rubbed it lovingly with ~2 Tbs Naturiffic Sea Salt.
Let is sit for a while to let the salt start pulling the moisture out of the skin and fat.
Then put it in smoker and smoked until 165 IT.
Took it out and let it rest.
Then it went into the fridge overnight. This morning I sliced some off of it and fried it up like bacon and had some with eggs...YUM!, but that was just as bonus, the main show was yet to come.
Chopped up the rest of the belly.
Put into cold CI skillet and let come up to temp, and fry in it's own fat.
Once fat has rendered out what I have left is bits of crispy pork belly & fried skin (cracklins).
I let that drain and cool and set aside.
Now it's time for pie.
My favorite pie is key lime, so let's get started.
I zested and juiced 5 limes, and split and de-seeded 1 habanero.
Here are the components
Lime Zest - Crispy Pork Bits - Chopped Habanero
4 large egg yolks
4 tsp grated lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice (5 limes)
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker crust
1) Whisk egg yolks and lime zest together until mix has light green tint (about 2 min)
2) Whisk in condensed milk until smooth then whisk in lime juice add pork bits and a touch of the habanero (to taste).
3) Cover until at room temp until thickened (about 30 min)
4) Meanwhile prepare and bake crust at 325 set aside and fill with mixture (while crust is still warm).
5) Bake until center is firm, but still jiggly (15-20 min)
Let pie cool at room temp for hour, then refrigerate until filling is chilled and set (about 3 hours).
Sprinkle a pinch of Naturiffic Sea Salt across top, a dollop of whip cream, some left over Lime Zest and some crispy pork bits complete this decadent pie.
The sweetness of the pie combined with the slight heat from the Habanero and the crustiness from the crust and the cracklings this was a winner for sure!