Patchouli oil is a versatile oil that has been used for centuries in a wide variety of reasons. It is incredibly popular in aromatherapy and massage therapy practices because of its pleasant, sweet aroma as well as its ability to stimulate hormones that promote feelings of happiness and emotional calm. This essential oil from the mint family also has antiseptic properties that can be used to protect wounds from infection as well as to ward off fevers and viral infections, and can even be mixed with water or lotion to create a highly effective insect repellant.
- Scientific Name: Pogostemon cablin
- Application: Aromatic, topical, internal
- Plant Part: Leaf
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Aromatic Description: Herbal, musky, sweet
- Main Chemical Components: Patchouli alcohol, alpha-bulsenene, alpha-guaiene