Most recognize peppermint as an ingredient in toothpastes and mouthwashes, but this herb actually has the honor of being one of the world’s oldest medicines. And for good reason – this versatile essential oil can be used to serve many purposes! This oil can be used to soothe indigestion and nausea, as well as to control bowel and stomach spasms. It can be used to soothe pain and ease headaches. Its ability to eliminate bad breath – not just its flavor – explains its widespread use in toothpastes. It can even be used to relieve stress!
- Scientific Name: Mentha piperita
- Application: Aromatic, topical, internal
- Plant Part: Entire plant
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Aromatic Description: Minty, herbal
- Main Chemical Components: Menthol, menthone, 8-cineole